Friday, July 8, 2011

Authentic Greek Salad

In the summer of 2008 I attended Harding University in Greece. It was one of the best experiences I have ever had! Every Sunday we went to Athens for the afternoon and then church that evening. In the afternoon we would shop, eat, wonder, just whatever we felt like. I was lucky enough to be with friends that were agreeable to eating at this outdoor cafe with a wonderful Greek salad every Sunday. It's no wonder the Grecians are so skinny. They use locally grown (and probably hormone free) vegetables. They actually taste totally different than they do over here because they are so fresh and organic. Anyhow, I have done my best to recreate an authentic Greek salad.


You will need FRESH tomatoes, cucumbers and a purple onion...


along with Feta cheese....


fresh bread....


Kalamata olives, NOT FROM A CAN...


and fresh Extra Virgin Olive Oil....and oregano!


First chop up your tomatoes and cucumbers into small chunks



Then dice your onion. In Greece they didn't chop them so small, they left them in strips, but I like a small bit of onion in each bite. It's up to you, really!

I usually slice the olives down the middle....or you can leave them whole. They're pretty salty.


Now the Feta Cheese....Here's my little spill...If you're serving it as a dish, I put a thick slice of cheese on top. If you're serving it as a side, I cut it up into big chunks and add it to the salad. I also think if you mash your cheese into the olive oil mixture and stir it around...that's the best way to eat it. Just my opinion, you can eat it any way you want!


This is how I would eat a Greek Salad in Greece.

.
This is how I eat a Greek Salad in America....


No comments:

Post a Comment