Thursday, August 1, 2013

Strawberry Breakfast Pastries


This past weekend my husband and a few of his buddies went camping as a bachelor trip for one of our friends who's getting married.   I thought I'd throw in a few breakfast pastries for them to eat on Saturday morning.  This is a pretty awesome group of guys but when it comes to preparing for these occasions...well.... they tend to forget a few things.  And I didn't want them to starve!

I started out with my Perfect Pie Crust.  You could definitely use a store bought crust (I have before!) and it would be a-okay! 

 Roll it out to about a 1/4 inch thick.  Then I used the top of a drinking glass to cut out the size circles I wanted.  You could do bigger ones or you could do rectangles, hearts, stars, or anything you have a cookie cutter for!

Then I plopped a dollop of strawberry jam onto each circle. 

Once each one had some jam I put another circle of dough on top of them.  One thing I do want to mention is don't get TOO crazy with the jam.  As tempting as it is to fill 'er up with the strawberry goodness, be careful not to add too much or the dough won't seal well when you close it up in the next step!  And it will leak out while baking and make a big sticky mess of your pastries.

Take a fork and create a seal around the edges. 

Still using the fork make a few small holes in the top of the pastry.  This will allow the steam to escape which is muy importante! 

The final step is to brush an egg wash (1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp water or milk) over each pastry and pop it in the oven.  Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.  Make sure to keep an eye on them as baking times will vary depending on your pie crust!

 While they were baking I whipped up the glaze which is simply 1 cup powered sugar and 3 Tbsp. milk.  I made a thin glaze but if you'd like yours thicker, like on a Pop Tart, knock the milk down to 1.5-2 Tbsp of milk!

Set them out and watch them disappear! These never last long and they can be eaten anytime, not just at breakfast!

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment