Sunday, February 19, 2012

Margherita Pizza

Margherita Pizza





In 2008 I was privileged enough to spend a semester abroad in Europe. I spent most of my time in Greece but also had the chance to travel to many other European countries. I took a lot from my semester overseas and one of those things was the wonderful food and way of cooking. Their pizza wasn't quite what Papa John had in mind. Below is a pizza that I split with Shailer in Bern, Switzerland. It was incredibly delicious! Big chunks of pineapple and ham and easy on the cheese and sauce on a thin, crispy crust!



So here's how I made mine! I started with my Classic Pizza Crust. I rolled it out pretty thin but you can make yours as thin or thick as you like!


Then I drizzle on a little Extra Virgin Olive Oil


And I cut up my toppings - fresh tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and fresh basil from my windowsill!


Place the Mozzarella on the crust.


Then the tomatoes...


And the basil on top....I could have covered the whole thing in basil but Bobby might not have eaten it if I had! He's not really a big fan of green things on his pizza!


Pop the pizza in the HOT oven for 10-15 minutes. I'll also note here that my favorite way to cook a pizza at home is on top of a pizza pan with the small holes. It makes for a crispier crust. I also spread a little corn meal on the bottom just so there is NO STICKING!


I have to apologize for the poor lighting. I do most of my cooking in the evenings after work and in the winter there is just no natural light by that time!


The pizza was heavenly! It's a nice light pizza, not greasy and heavy like what you might get from a fast pizza chain. Although, sometimes those are yummy too!


I cut up the pizza and took it right on in to the living room for our "date" without Riggins at home. We curled up to a movie and enjoyed our pizza. Even though it wasn't super heavy we couldn't finish it last night and we enjoyed the leftovers this afternoon! It's a must try!





1 comment: