Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Crustless Spinach Quiche


I'm a big fan of quiche.  I like to make one to have in the fridge for breakfast some weeks. The hubs doesn't like quiche.  It's actually the only thing I make that he doesn't eat.  We had a bad quiche experience once and I think he can't escape it.  Lucky for me, because he doesn't eat it, quiches will actually last me the whole week for breakfast.  I'm also not a fan of reheating leftovers but for some reason this doesn't bother me at all.  It reheats really well.

Quiches are great because you can mix them up and add different veggies and cheeses for a totally different quiche experience. I typically like lots of veggies in my quiche but the recipe I'm posting today is pretty simple. I hope you give it a try!

Crustless Spinach Quiche
  • 1 small onion, chopped 
  • 1 Tbsp butter or olive oil
  • ½ tsp minced garlic
  • 1 (10 oz.) box frozen spinach
  • 4 large eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 2 oz. feta cheese
  • ¼ cup grated parmesan
  • ½ cup shredded mozzarella
  • salt & pepper
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly cover a 9 inch pie plate with a cooking spray (I use olive oil spray).

On medium-high heat, melt your butter (or heat your olive oil). I like it to get pretty hot so that I can get a little color on my onions. Add the onions to the skillet and let them cook 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute or so.  Add a pinch of salt and pepper and pour this into your pie plate.

The next step is to get all of the water out of your spinach.  I usually put the thawed spinach in the colander and wring it out with my hands.  Then I put it on paper towels and wring it our some more. You can probably get away with just the first step but I like to be sure. Spread this spinach on top of the onions and top that with the feta cheese.

In a separate bowl mix the eggs, milk, parmesan cheese and a small pinch of salt and pepper until combined.  Pour this on top of the spinach & feta. Top the quiche with the mozzarella cheese and bake for 45 minutes to an hour. Let it rest for ten minutes before serving.

I hope you give this quiche a chance! Thanks for dropping by!



No comments:

Post a Comment