Friday, August 2, 2013

The Perfect Pie Crust


Pie crusts can be a tricky thing.  If you search online you'll find all kinds of different recipes and it's hard to know which ones are worth making.  Luckily, the lovely Pioneer Woman, Ree Drummond, did some pie crust testing to find what is truly THE BEST pie crust, and it's pretty easy too! 

Here's what you need-
1  1//2  Vegetable Shortening, like Crisco
NO BUTTER NO BUTTER NO BUTTER
3 cups AP Flour
1 egg
5 Tbsp cold water
1 Tbsp White Vinegar
1 tsp salt

With a pastry cutter work the vegetable shortening into the flour.  I was at my mom's house when I made this and she didn't have a pastry cutter so I used a fork.  It takes a lot longer but you can do it.  This was about half way through.  When it's ready it will looks like a "course meal", according to Ree. 

Once it's ready add the beaten egg, vinegar, water and salt. GENTLY stir this together until it's just incorporated. Divide the dough into three balls and put each into a gallon size baggie.  Gentle roll it out just a little and freeze 15-20 minutes to firm up. When it comes time to roll it out don't forget to flour your surface and rolling pin! Roll out to about 1/4 inch to make your pie crust! 






2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog and seeing all your projects! You put me to shame in the baking department! I think I may have to give the breakfast pantries a try

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Baking is a hobby of mine so I love trying new stuff out every chance I get!

    ReplyDelete