Thursday, February 7, 2013

Garlic & Herb Chicken (Crock Pot, Whole Chicken)

I actually call this Wednesday Chicken because I make it almost every Wednesday.  We have church on Wednesday night and I never know what time I will get home from school so it's best to have dinner already prepared!  I prep the chicken the night before and put it in the crock pot bowl and stick it in the fridge.  The next morning I take it out of the fridge, into the crock pot unit and turn it on low.  I let it cook for 7-8 hours and then put it on warm until dinner time.

Because we eat this every week I've had to learn variety is key to this chicken! There are a few different ways I like to make it.  You should try them all!

Garlic & Herb Chicken                  
1 whole chicken                           
1 stick Grass-fed butter, softened             
1 Tbsp minced garlic                   
2 tsp sea salt                                
1/2 tsp pepper                                  
1 Tbsp Parsley                                     
1 Tbsp Basil                                        
1 onion
3 carrots, cut in half
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into fourths

           Mix the softened butter with the garlic, salt, pepper, parsley and basil.  I don't eat the skin so sometimes I will carefully lift the skin and smear the butter underneath it.  Some days, because my husband does like the skin, I'll put it on top!  It's delicious both ways!

Place the veggies at the bottom of the croc pot.  I usually do onion, carrots and sweet potatoes with this but you could use whatever veggies you have on hand.  Place the chicken on top of the veggies and put the lid on.  Cook on low 6-7 hours! Yum! The chicken will fall off the bone!

Sometimes I will also leave a few onions in the juice at the bottom and use an immersion blender to make a gravy for the chicken! You could also use that juice to make a soup, which I do quite a bit! I'll post some of those recipes soon.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment