Sunday, March 23, 2014

House Update - The Deck

While we've been tackling a lot of little projects around the house, the most exciting (to me) is the deck! Perhaps one of the reasons it's been my favorite is because we actually hired someone to build it! And it was well worth the money! Once we have the deck set up and the landscaping done, I'll do a better post but here's where we're at!

This is what it looked like when we moved in...

Then it turned into this...

And here's where we're at now.  Since we look the curtains down I'm going to get some art to go on either side of the door to add some more color.

It's crazy how much bigger it makes the room feel and lets in a lot of natural light!

We knew we wanted french doors that both opened up.  When they're both open it feel like one big room onto the deck, which is great for having people over and entertaining.  I was pretty specific on the molding above the door and if I could do it again I'd probably make that wide piece above the door a little bit wider (taller) but I really like the character it adds. 

It was also important that we had outswinging doors because we don't have that much room in the dining room as it is.  And for whatever reason outswinging doors are about $400 more than inswing but it really wasn't even an option for us. Please excuse the multicolored chair.  It's mid-makeover...going on two years now...oops!

We have two sets of stairs on either end of the deck.  This side of the deck opens up to another little entertaining area with the firepit and some Adirondack chairs soon. We will also be building a raised bed for my vegetable plants along the left of the stairs.

I had a lot of fun moving the fire pit from the other side of the yard :)
We love our neighbors but we'll be planting some privacy trees along the fence...eventually...

This wider set of steps leads to the parking pad in back.  One thing Bobby was worried about was the security of the doors.  They are really sturdy and solid so he's feeling good about it, because we live in such a dangerous neighborhood and the 3 giant dogs wouldn't scare someone off :)

Like I said, once we have some furniture on the deck and things in place, I'll share a little more! Just wanted to give you an update!

No comments:

Post a Comment